Slow-Cooked Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Recipes
Two popular vegetables taking over the world of healthy and creative food lately are cauliflower and sweet potatoes. Opting out of pizza crust? Use cauliflower as a substitute. Looking for a healthier version of creamy mashed potatoes? Sweet potatoes are your new best friend - they can even serve as a healthier version of french fries! When it comes to the innovative ways to use and incorporate these two foods into your meals, options are truly endless.
Cauliflower Mock and Cheese
Forego the noodles in this mock and cheese recipe and opt for cauliflower instead! The twist on this classic favorite serves as a great side dish or meal all of its own.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 can condensed cheddar soup
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- Coat the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or use a Crock-Pot Liner.
- Place cauliflower florets in in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- To make sauce, combine soup, milk, spices, onion and cheddar cheese in a saucepan over medium heat until cheese is melted.
- Pour sauce over cauliflower in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours, until cauliflower is at desired tenderness.
- Enjoy warm.
Garlic Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
For a slightly different texture, and a healthier version of the classic mashed potatoes, use cauliflower instead. It's an easy dish to prepare and one that you'll make again and again.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4-6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons minced herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme or parsley)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Additional milk, if desired
- Salt, to taste
- Chives, for garnish
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and place in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add garlic, water, salt and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove the garlic cloves and bay leaf. Drain the water.
- Add butter and allow it to melt completely.
- Use a potato masher or immersion blender to mash the cauliflower until at desired creaminess.
- Add more milk for creamier consistency, if desired.
- Top with salt and pepper and serve with chives.
Sweet Potato Casserole
For a fresh take on an evening casserole, give this recipe for a nutty sweet potato dish a try. It's a sweet treat that can be enjoyed as an appetizer, side dish or dessert! It cooks best in the Crock-Pot® 3.5-Quart Casserole Crock Slow Cooker.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted
- Place sweet potatoes in 3.5-quart slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine applesauce, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon.
- Pour over potatoes in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until potatoes are tender.
- Top with toasted chopped nuts.
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Another popular way to use cauliflower in the kitchen is in a pizza crust. Substitute the carb-heavy regular pizza dough for this white veggie that makes a delicious crust. For a rounded pizza crust, use the Crock-Pot® Casserole Crock® 2.5-Quart Oval Slow Cooker.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For Pizza Toppings:
- 1/2 cup choice of pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Italian cheese blend
- Pepperoni, mushrooms, extra cheese, any other desired toppings
- Chop clean head of cauliflower into floret size pieces.
- Pulse florets in a food processor until evenly chopped in miniature pieces.
- Place in bowl and add eggs, 1/2 cup of cheese, Italian cheese blend, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Mix well.
- Spray Crock-Pot® Casserole Crock® and press cauliflower mixture down into slow cooker, forming a slightly higher edge around all the sides.
- Top with your choice of pizza sauce, cheese and desired toppings.
- Cover slow cooker but prop lid open slightly.
- Cook on high for 2 to 4 hours until eggs in crust are fully cooked.
- Cauliflower should be tender and edges slightly browned.
- Turn off heat and let sit for up to 30 minutes before cutting into slices and serving.