Crock-Pot Express Crock Multi-Cooker Carnitas Sliders with Chipotle Sour Cream
If you’re a long time carnitas lover, you’ll know what we’re talking about. The best part of this delicious slow-cooked meat dish is the lovely caramelization you get on some of the end bits. It’s really not the same without that. The Crock-Pot Express Crock Mulit-Cooker gets a perfect sear and carmelization. These sliders are a hit!
• 4.5 lbs pork shoulder, cut into cubes
• 1 tablespoon salt, plus ½ teaspoon divided
• 12 ounces stout beer
• 6 ounces tomato paste
• Juice from 1 large lime
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
• ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo
• 24 slider buns
• chopped cilantro
• Sprinkle the pork on all sides with 1 tablespoon salt.
1. In a small bowl stir together the beer, tomato paste, lime juice, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cayenne, and smoked paprika.
2. Add the pork and the sauce to a Crock-Pot Express Crock Multi-Cooker, add the lid (make sure the lid to the Multi-Cooker is locked but the steam value is open to “release” mode). Cook on high for 6 hours, or low for 8 hours.
3. Remove the inner bowl of the Crock-Pot, pouring off the liquid (leave a small amount, about 2 tablespoons, the amount doesn’t need to be exact), place the bowl back in the Crockpot.
4. Turn the multi-cooker to the “brown/sauté” setting on high. Shred the pork, in the cooker with two forks while the pot heats up in sauté mode. Press meat firmly down with a wooden spoon into a firm even layer.
5. Cook for 5-8 minutes, stir and press again into a firm even layer.
6. Once the remaining liquid is gone and there are pieces of meat that have been nicely caramelized, remove from the pot and add to a serving bowl, toss with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
7. Stir together the sour cream and chipotle peppers.
8. Add the carnitas to the slider buns, top with sour cream and sprinkle with cilantro.