Biryani is traditionally cooked for a prolonged period of under "dum" pressure in a sealed clay pot. With this pressure cooker Veg Biryani I have tried to give the traditional recipe a simple, quick and delicious twist. Something you can whip up in less than 30 minutes on a weekday too. Courtesy of Indian Simmer
• Basmati Rice- 1 cups
• Edamame Seeds- 1/2 cup
• Carrots- 1/2 cup cut in 1-2 inch chunks
• Cauliflower florets- 1 cup
• Red onion- 1/2 cup chopped + 1/4 cup (thinly sliced)
• Ghee- 1 tablespoon
• Canola or any cooking oil- 2 tablespoon
• Cinnamon Stick- 1 inch
• Green Cardamom- 2-3 count
• Cloves whole- 1/2 teaspoon
• Cumin seeds- 1/4 teaspoon optional
• Garam Masala- 1 teaspoon
• Golden Raisin- 2 tablespoon optional
• Cashews- 8-10 count optional
• Cilantro- 1/4 cup chopped
• Water- 3 cups
• Salt to taste
1.Wash rice 2-3 times in tap water. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
2. In the meantime, add ghee and canola oil to the Crock-Pot® Express Multi-Cooker. Turn the multi-cooker on and set it to BROWN/SAUTÉ function. As the ghee heats up (2-3 minutes), add golden raisin and cashews. Sauté for approx. 30sec.- 1 min. or until the raisins puff up. Fish the puffed raisins and golden cashews out and set aside for later.
3. In the same pot add sliced onion. Cook until brown and cryspy, 3-4 minutes. Fish brown onions out leaving the remaining ghee in the pot. Spread them on the paper towel.
4. Add cinnamon stick, cloves, cumin seeds and green cardamom to the same pot. As they sputter, add chopped onion. Cook until golden, 8-10 minutes. Add salt and garam masala. Give it a quick stir.
5. Add veggies, rice and water. Close the lid and place the steam vent on lock position. Turn the pressure cooker to rice setting. The multi-cooker will tell you when the cooking process is over, approx. 12 minutes.
6. Once the food is cooked, multi-cooker automatically switches to "warm". At this point, turn the steam vent to open position. Wait till the steam has escaped from the pressure cooker.
7. Garnish with golden raisins, cashews, brown sliced onion and cilantro. Serve hot with raita.