Mexican Chocolate Lava Cake
This Mexican Chocolate Lava Cake is a twist on the classic with a touch of cinnamon & cayenne. It comes out perfect because it’s made in a pressure cooker! Courtesy of Eat The Love
• 1 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate 155 g
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter 115 g or 1 stick
• 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee powder optional but recommended
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/2 cup white granulated sugar 100 g
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon cocoa powder not Dutch-process
• 3 large eggs
• Powdered sugar to finish
1. Place the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Cook chocolate and butter in the microwave, in 30 second increments, stirring between cook time, until completely melted and smooth.
2. Add the instant coffee powder if using and stir until dissolved. Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne to the melted chocolate and stir until the dry ingredients are absorbed completely.
3. Place the sugar, flour, cocoa powder and whisk together until uniform in color. Add the eggs into a large bowl and whisk together until there are no more dry pockets. Pour the chocolate into the mixture and stir in with a spatula.
4. Spray 4 6-ounce oven proof ramekins with cooking oil. Divide the chocolate batter inside the ramekins. The batter should only fill up the ramekins 3/4 capacity. Don’t overfill.
5. Place the wire rack inside the Crock-Pot® Express Crock Multi-Cooker pot. Pour 1 1/2 cups of water inside the pot. Place the ramekins on the wire rack. If the ramekins don’t all fit on one level, you can carefully stack them in a “pyramid” formation, making sure the bottom three ramekins aren’t touching but are close enough together to support the top ramekin.
6. Cover and seal the lid, making sure the pressure valve on top is in the “Seal” or closed position. Press the DESSERT function and adjust the pressure to high. Make sure the button is set on 10 minutes and press the START/STOP function. Once the cooking is complete, do a quick release of the pressure by using a wooden spoon or another heat proof kitchen utensil to carefully flick the pressure valve to the “Release” position. Do this cautiously, as hot steam will be released from the valve. Once there is no more steam being released and the lid opens easily (with minimal force), it’s safe to open up the Crock-Pot® Express Crock Multi-Cooker.
7. Using tongs or a heatproof oven mitt, remove each ramekin from the pot. Let sit on a cooling rack for 1 minute, then place a small dessert plate upside down on the top of the ramekin. Using a clean dry kitchen towel or oven mitts, invert the plate then carefully remove the ramekin. Repeat with the remaining cakes, dust with powdered sugar, and serve immediately.