Bacon, Mushroom, Spinach and Cheese Frittata
This easy-to-make bacon, mushroom, spinach and cheese frittata is made in a pressure cooker, resulting in an egg casserole that isn’t rubbery or overcooked! Courtesy of Eat the Love
• 4 ounces bacon chopped
• 4 ounces mushrooms sliced
• 8 large eggs
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
• 2 packed cups baby spinach about 2 1/2 ounces
• 1/4 cup shredded medium Cheddar cheese
• 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Place the bacon inside the Crock-Pot® Express Crock Multi-Cooker and press the SAUTÉ/BROWN function. Wait until the pot heats up, and then cook, stirring frequently, until the bacon starts to crisp, anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes depending on how thin the bacon is sliced and chopped. Once the bacon starts to get crispy, add the mushrooms and cook an additional 3 minutes, or until they start to soften.
2. Once the mushrooms have started to soften, turn the Express Crock Multi-Cooker off and pour the bacon, mushrooms and residue grease into a heat proof bowl lined with paper towels to drain. Carefully wipe out the inside of the pot with a paper towel.
3. Place the inner pot back into the Express Crock Multi-Cooker. Place the wire rack inside the pot. Then pour 2 cups of water into the pot.
4. Place two pieces of aluminum foil on top of each other, at a 90° angle. Place an 8-inch springform pan in the center and then fold and crinkle the foil around the bottom of the pan and up the sides, helping to keep the pan watertight.
5. Spray the 8-inch springform pan with cooking oil. Then place a long piece of aluminum foil on the table and fold it lengthwise into a long thin piece of foil. Place the springform pan in the center of this long strip of foil. This will be a “sling” that will help you move the pan to and from the inside of the Express Crock Multi-Cooker.
6. Beat the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl.
7. Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with half the drained bacon and mushrooms. Sprinkle half of both cheeses over the bacon and mushrooms.
8. Place the spinach on top of the bacon and mushrooms, making sure to pack it in as much as possible. Pour the egg mixture over the spinach, and then press down with a fork on the spinach, to make sure it gets completely submerged in the egg.
9. Sprinkle the remaining bacon, mushroom and cheese over the egg and spinach, again pressing down with a fork to make sure all ingredients are submerged. Use the “sling” by carefully lifting, moving and lowering it into the Express Crock Multi-Cooker pot. Fold down any extra foil into the side of the pot, so it isn’t hanging out over the top.
10. Cover and seal the lid, making sure the pressure valve on top is in the “Seal” or closed position. Press the MEAT/STEW function and make sure the pressure is set to high. Adjust time to 20 minutes and press the Start/Stop button. Once the cooking is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for about 10 minutes. Then use a wooden spoon or another heat proof kitchen utensil, to carefully flick the pressure valve to the “Release” position. Do this cautiously, as hot steam will be released from the valve. Once there is no more steam being released and the lid open easily (with minimal force), it’s safe to open the Express Crock Multi-Cooker. Reach in and grab the foil sling to remove the springform pan from the pot.
11. Release the sides of the springform pan and then carefully slide the frittata onto a plate (it will be still be hot, so you might want to use an oven mitt and a spatula). Serve immediately.