Featured Community Recipe
MEET THE MAKER OF THIS MONTH'S DELICIOUS CREATION:
Dzung Hi - I’m Dzung from the Honeysuckle Channel on Youtube! Like many, I’m a young professional who is always trying to find a balance between a job, social life, and a healthy lifestyle. So that's why I love to inspire my viewers with recipe ideas that are not only unique and good for you, but are quick and easy too!
Slow Cooked Mango Jerk Chicken When it comes to cooking, I often think back to family vacations for inspiration. We spent a lot of time in tropical places, so many of the meals we enjoyed blended bold, sweet flavors together. One I like to recreate for my family is Slow Cooked Mango Jerk Chicken. Learn more about the recipe here.
THE STORY BEHIND:
Slow Cooked Mango Jerk Chicken
SLOW COOKED MANGO JERK CHICKENby Dzung
The following recipe is sponsored by the Crock-Pot® brand. There's something about Tropical Flavors that take me way back. I remember annual Summer vacations with my family. Growing up we loved the laid-back vibe of time well spent and food enjoyed on the beach! One of my favorite dishes was a meat stewed with fresh fruits served with rice. Ahh memories... It's so nice to be able to re-create these memories as an adult. This Mango Jerk Chicken recipe is perfect for those days where I need that familiar Caribbean kick! The sweet and tangy flavors of the mangoes paired with a spicy jerk seasoning is enough to awaken all my senses and transport me back to the Tropics. And putting it together in my Crock-Pot® slow cooker is perfectly aligned with my busy lifestyle. When I come home from work I have a hot dinner ready to take me back to the islands.
Check out the recipe below:
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsps thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp dried chili pepper flakes
To make Mango Jerk Chicken:
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 mango, cut into small chunks
- Handful of cilantro pieces
- 4 chicken breasts (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 3 tbsps chicken broth
- 2 tsps Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
1. In the Crock-Pot® slow cooker pot, add chicken breast and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with 2 tsps of Jamaican jerk seasoning all over chicken.
2. Pour 3 tbsps of chicken broth over the chicken, then add red onions, red bell peppers, mango chunks, and torn cilantro sprigs directly on top.
3. Set Crock-Pot® slow cooker on low setting for 5 hours.
4. Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl to make a slurry.
5. Pour slurry into the Crock-Pot® slow cooker and cover for an additional 30 minutes on high setting until sauce thickens.
6. Serve warm with white rice and steamed vegetables.
You may also like: