Thai Shrimp Soup Infused with Lemongrass, Ginger and Chiles Slow Cooker Recipe
- ¾ pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved
- 8 cups fish or chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 stalks lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped fresh Thai basil or basil
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped fish cilantro
- 1 serrano pepper*, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1-2 limes, juiced
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- ¼-½ teaspoon sambal oelek chile paste
- 6 thin lime slices
- Halve shrimp, lengthwise. Place in refrigerator.
- Place shrimp shells, broth, carrots, lemongrass, ginger, and garlic in your Crockpot slow cooker. Cover; cook on LOW 3 ½ hours to 4 ½ hours or on HIGH 2 to 3 hours.
- Strain broth and return to slow cooker, discard solids. Add shrimp, Thai basil, mint, cilantro, serrano pepper, lime juice, coconut milk, and chile paste. Cover; cook on HIGH 15 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through.
- Garnish each serving with lime slices.
Soups And Stews