Pumpkin Soup with Crumbled Bacon and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds Slow Cooker Recipe
Use your Crock-Pot® slow cooker to make this festive pumpkin and bacon soup bursting with delicious fall flavors.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds*
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cans (29 ounces each) 100% pure pumpkin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1/2 cup whipping cream or half-and-half
- Sour cream (optional)
- *Raw pumpkin seeds or pepitas may be found in the produce or ethnic food section of your local supermarket
- Coat inside of your Crock-Pot slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Heat oil in small skillet over medium-high heat. Add pumpkin seeds; cook and stir about 1 minute or until seeds begin to pop. Spoon into small bowl; set aside.
- Add bacon to skillet; cook and stir until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate using slotted spoon. Reserve drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon when cool enough to handle; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to skillet; cook 3 minutes or until translucent. Stir in salt, chipotle chili powder, and pepper. Transfer onion mixture to your slow cooker.
- Whisk pumpkin puree, broth, and cider into slow cooker until smooth. Cover; cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Turn off heat; remove lid. Whisk in cream. Adjust seasonings as necessary. Strain soup into bowls; garnish with pumpkin seeds, bacon, and sour cream.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
Soups And Stews