Festive Turkey Chili Slow Cooker Recipe
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs turkey thighs—skin & bones removed—cut into 3/4” cubes
- 3 cloves garlic—minced
- 2 medium onions—diced
- 2 bell peppers—red or yellow, cored and diced
- 1-2 long red chilies—thinly sliced, to taste
- 2 large carrots—peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery—diced
- 1 medium sweet potato—peeled and cubed
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock (no salt added)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes in their juices (fire roasted if available)—28 oz.
- 1 can black beans (no salt added—19 oz.)—drained and rinsed
- 1 can red kidney beans (no salt added—19 oz.)—drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp poultry seasoning—divided
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes to taste
- Suggested Toppings:
- Cranberry sauce
- Jalapenos—thinly sliced
- Orange zest
- Brie—cut into small pieces
- Sage leaves—fried & lightly salted*
- Season turkey thighs with 2 tablespoons of poultry seasoning, then set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, brown turkey on all sides, then remove to a plate. Drain excess liquid before adding turkey to the slow cooker.
- Add all ingredients to the Crockpot Cook & Carry Slow Cooker, then stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8-9 hours or on High for 4-5 hours.
- *Remove leaves from sage. Heat ¼ cup olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Fry 6-8 sage leaves at a time until crisp, 3-4 seconds. Gently transfer with tongs to paper towels and then sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Cook’s note: Chili is also tasty served more traditionally with hot sauce, jalapenos, diced avocado, cheddar cheese & green onions.
Soups And Stews