Arizona Ranch Beans Slow Cooker Recipe
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, rinsed and sorted
- 8 cups water, plus additional for soaking
- ½ pound bacon
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced mild green chiles
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Place beans in large bowl; add enough cool water to cover by at least 2 inches. Soak 6 to 8 hours or overnight.* Drain beans; discard water.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon; cook and stir until crisp. Remove bacon and 2 tablespoons of drippings to Crockpot™ slow cooker. Place drained beans and 8 cups water into slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, onions, chiles, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Cover; cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or until beans are tender. Season with salt. Serve with lime wedges.
- To quick soak beans, place beans in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let soak, covered, 1 hour.