Serve up These Spinach-Stuffed Meatballs
A traditional, hearty Italian meal, spaghetti and meatballs is a staple of every home. Whether it's your go-to meal for the post-soccer game tailgate, your favored dish at the neighborhood potluck or dad's specialty for Sunday night dinner, it's a meal that everyone loves. If you're looking to spice up your family recipe next time, why not try this dish with a new kind of meatball? Whip up these spinach-stuffed meatballs for a sharp new taste.
Best of all, if you're planning to make these meatballs and a sauce or two for a crowd at the next big gathering, you can seamlessly do so in the Crock-Pot® Swing and Serve™ Slow Cooker. Designed to entertain with ease and save you counter space at the same time, this innovative slow cooker enables you to cook one main dish and two small sides or sauces simultaneously. Forget having to keep an eye on your homemade tomato sauce simmering over the stove, you can now prepare it, slow cook it and go about the rest of your day without having to think twice.
Easily make your meatballs in the base crock, while your sauces slow cook above, all at different temperatures and cook times if needed. And once your food is ready, there's no need to worry about serving dishes and transferring - the upper crocks swing apart to enable serving and self-serving right from the slow cooker. Guests can help themselves to your now-famous spinach-stuffed meatballs, two different sauces and the utensils in the convenient caddy in the base of the slow cooker. Enjoy delicious slow-cooked food and entertain with ease!
Hearty spinach-stuffed meatballs made with two kinds of meat will bring even more flavor to this traditional zesty meal.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained of all liquid
- Extra Parmesan cheese, for topping
Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves smashed garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 onion (don't chop)
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, ground pork, Parmesan cheese, eggs, salt, pepper, garlic, basil, parsley and oregano.
- Add breadcrumbs 1/2 cup at a time, using hands to thoroughly combine mixture until it is no longer wet.
- Add chopped spinach and mix well.
- Use hands to form mixture into 12 small meatball-sized balls.
- Add meatballs to the 3.5-quart crock.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours.
- In another medium-sized bowl, combine olive oil, smashed garlic, crushed tomatoes, onion, salt and pepper for the sauce.
- Pour sauce into one of the 1.5-quart upper crocks.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours as well.
- Before cook time is up, cook spaghetti or fettuccine over stovetop and serve with meatballs and sauce.
- Serve warm with sauces and Parmesan cheese for topping.