Easy Vegetarian Dishes for Your Slow Cooker
Coming up with healthy yet easy weekday meals as a vegetarian is not always that easy. However, with the help of your slow cooker, there's a way to create a number of veggie-filled dishes that call for just a short list of ingredients and very little preparation time.
A delicious meal filled with protein, fiber and nutrients does not need to entail an elaborate cooking process with multiple steps. With the Crock-Pot® 5-Quart Smart-Pot® Slow Cooker, creating a hearty, homemade dinner that is vegetarian friendly is easier than ever. This slow cooker allows you the flexibility to have your meals cook all day long, while you go about your day-to-day without a second thought. Depending on your schedule, you can set the digital panel to cook settings on HIGH with 4 or 6 hour selections or on LOW with 8 or 10 hour selections. If cook time is up before you arrive home, the slow cooker will automatically turn to the WARM setting, fitting to your needs.
There's nothing like a little barbecue kick in the middle of the week to get you through to the weekend. Toss your tofu with your favorite vegetables for the perfect weeknight dinner. Pressed tofu works best because it helps to soak up the flavors.
- 2 containers firm or extra firm tofu, pressed and chopped to 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Veggies of your choice
- Add pressed and chopped tofu to your slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix ketchup, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder and veggies.
- Pour mixture over tofu.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
Spanish Rice and Vegetables
Once cooked, Spanish rice gets a light golden-brown color, indicative of all of its rich flavor. Slow-cooked with tomatoes, salsa and a variety of vegetables, this tasty and satisfying dish will keep you full for a long time.
- 2 cups rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 3/4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Add rice, veggies, diced tomatoes and water or vegetable broth to your slow cooker.
- Top with garlic, chili and onion powder and salsa.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Stir again before serving warm.
Black Bean Citrus Soup
Legumes, such as black beans, are a great source of protein for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. This unique slow-cooked black bean soup recipe has the surprising citrus flavor from the splash of orange and lime juice.
- 1 pound black beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lemon, sliced in wedges for serving
- Pour the soaked and drained beans into your slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, red bell pepper and all spices.
- Stir in the juice of 1 orange and 1 lime.
- Stir in the broth until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until beans are completely soft.
- When cook time is up, use a hand blender - or food processor - to mix the soup well.
- Serve in bowls with a sliced lemon on top.