Slow Cooker Rosemary Olive Oil Bread and Dip
There's nothing quite like the aroma of fresh, homemade bread wafting through your kitchen. Hearty and soft inside, with a perfectly crisped crust, homemade bread tastes that much better when you know it was crafted by your own hands. And one of the best ways to make homemade bread is in your slow cooker. This is perfect for hot summer days when you don't want to heat up your whole house by using the oven, or when you want to save oven space for making other side dishes for your backyard cookout. Using your slow cooker to make a deliciously tender loaf of bread is a win-win: You get that incredibly mouth-watering smell of baking bread while reducing oven space and avoiding oven heat.
With the Crock-Pot® Swing and Serve™ Slow Cooker, you save even more counter space while cooking a loaf of your favorite bread. With an emphasis on flexibility and entertaining, this innovative slow cooker enables you to slow cook a main dish and two sides or dips at once, all on their own times and temperatures. Make your fresh, rosemary olive oil bread in the larger 3.5-quart bottom slow cooker, while you use the top two 1.5-quart crocks for the dip. They swing apart with ease when you're ready to serve so that guests can easily help themselves.
Rosemary Olive Oil Bread
Enhancing a traditional loaf of bread takes just a few ingredients and a couple of extra minutes, yet the results are extraordinary. The bright and floral fragrance of rosemary blends with the olive oil and salt for an unparalleled aroma and flavor.
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 packet dry active yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary, chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Use a large bowl to combine water, yeast and sugar. Mix and let sit for 10 minutes or until ingredients are bubbly.
- Blend in 1/2 of the rosemary, 1/2 of the salt and the 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Mix until fully combined, using hands if necessary.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with a kitchen towel.
- Let dough sit and rise for 1 hour in a warm, draft-free room.
- Once risen, gently roll dough into a ball on a floured surface.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Line slow cooker with two pieces of parchment paper, leaving at least 2 inches hanging out of each side.
- Place the dough in the middle of slow cooker and sprinkle it with the remaining salt and rosemary.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours.
- Remove and let bread cool.
- If desired, place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet under broiler for several minutes for more crisping.
- Meanwhile, in your upper 1.5-quart crocks, combine half of each ingredient in each crock.
- Mix well and serve bread warm right from your Swing and ServeTM slow cooker.