3 Slow-Cooked Caribbean-Inspired Meals
For a low-effort taste of the islands, try these Caribbean-inspired slow-cooker recipes. All can be easily prepared and will simmer deliciously in your Crock-Pot® 5-Quart Smart-Pot® Slow Cooker overnight, during a busy weekend or the workday - all depending on cook times, of course. And a bonus: these recipes will provide plenty of leftovers to tide you through the week.
1. Jerk Chicken
A little bit spice and a whole lot of savory, jerk chicken is the perfect mid-week meal. Serve this dish alongside a scoop of black beans for the ultimate Caribbean experience.
- 6 chicken thighs, bone and skin on
- 3 green onions from tip to tail with root trimmed
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and de-veined
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Add chicken thighs to a large skillet, browning them on both sides for 3-5 minutes.
- Puree remaining ingredients until smooth in food processor.
- Add chicken to the slow cooker skin side up.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
2. Caribbean Beef Stew
A unique take on a slow-cooker classic, this Caribbean beef stew is great on its own or over a bed of rice.
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds beef stew
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 5 medium carrots, peeled cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Strip leaves from 1 sprig of thyme.
- Combine thyme with flour and allspice, salt and pepper in bowl.
- Coat beef with the mixture.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except the tomatoes, into your Crock-Pot® 5-Quart Smart-Pot® Slow Cooker.
- Add the beef, reserving any seasoned flower in the bowl.
- Whisk Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup of water into the reserved seasoned flour
- Add mixture to slow cooker.
- Pour the tomatoes on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
3. Black Bean and Plantain Chili
This vegetarian-friendly recipe is perfect for warming you up on a chilly spring afternoon.
- 1 tablespoon oil of choice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 4 cups or 2 x 19 oz cans cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped (retain juices)
- 1 tablespoon Ancho chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 ripe plantains (yellow with lots of brown spots), peeled and cut into slices
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a pan, heat oil and add the onions, sauteing until translucent, around 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the bell pepper, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and paprika.
- Pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3.5 to 4 hours.
- Add plantains, and cover and cook on HIGH for an additional 30-60 minutes.