Family French Onion Soup
A cafe-favorite on a chilly evening or rainy afternoon, French onion soup is a comfort food classic enjoyed by young and old alike. No matter what season it is, this is one of those heart-warming, homemade meals that can bring the entire family together. And now, no matter how busy or time-crunched you may be, there's a simple way to create this deliciously flavorful soup: All you need is your slow cooker.
Cooking this soup in your Crock-Pot® 5-Quart Smart-Pot® Slow Cooker provides you the flexibility to prepare a meal early and then have it cook all day so that you can spend your afternoon doing what you love. Mouth-watering and simple to prepare, this is one slow-cooked meal made from scratch that you'll want to cook again and again and again.
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
Rich, cheesy and savory this classic soup is best served hot with a slice of French baguette on top.
- 4 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup of beer
- 8 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- French baguette
- Gruyere cheese, sliced
- Add sweet onions, garlic, butter, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Mix until combined.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, stirring occasionally - until onions are a bit brown and caramelized.
- Add flour and mix well, until combined.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add beer, beef stock, pepper and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, cut French baguette into slices.
- When soup is finished, fill bowls to the top and top with a slice of bread and slice of cheese.
- Set bowls under boiler for 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Be careful when serving: Bowls and soup will be very hot.