Slow Cooker Maple Brown Sugar Ham
Though summer holidays are usually spent on the fly, somewhere new each year, the wintertime holidays often hold a little more tradition. For many families, the big feast, gift exchange or holiday party has been held at the same place every year for decades. Or maybe your tradition is making new traditions each year! Whether you and your relatives pile into the van for a snowy trek to the cabin or enjoy the company of neighbors and good friends right down the street, food is no doubt a central theme. As such, it's helpful to have an easy, reliable and traditional recipe ready to go at all times.
Regardless of how you spend the holidays, this insider's secret to slow cooking a robust and savory maple glazed ham is all you'll ever need to know. With a larger 6- or 7-quart slow cooker such as the Crock-Pot® 7-Quart Manual Slow Cooker, making this mouth-watering centerpiece is seamlessly simple.
Maple Brown Sugar Ham
Perfectly tenderized after slow cooking for hours, this juicy maple and brown sugar ham is prepared with all the right flavors to get the perfect balance of sweet and hearty.
- 1 bone-in ham (about 7 to 10 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 15 whole cloves
- Remove excess skin and fat from ham with a sharp knife.
- Slice a spiral-cut, grid-like pattern in the ham so that it can heat and absorb liquids evenly.
- Place ham in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Combine pineapple juice, maple syrup, mustard and black pepper in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Cover ham in brown sugar, coating thoroughly and evenly on all sides.
- Add cloves to slow cooker throughout.
- Pour maple glaze mixture over the ham.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- While ham is cooking, baste several times throughout cook time.
- When finished, let ham cool for about 15 minutes before carving.
- Serve warm.
During the busy winter season, this easy holiday favorite can serve as your main course, your dish for the annual potluck or even just as dinner for the family. But the goodness of this maple glazed ham doesn't end there. With such a large roast you can enjoy ham sandwiches for days!