Best Red, White and Blue Sweets to Make in Your Slow Cooker
One of the best things about your Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker is the fun and festive creativity it allows for each time a holiday or special event rolls around. Round up the the sprinkles, gather the kids and pull out your 5-quart slow cooker to try these mouth-watering dessert recipes.
Patriotic Crispy Rice and Marshmallow Treats
Whether you're celebrating a patriotic holiday or just looking to make a fun and tasty treat for the kids, this recipe for a red, white and blue rice crispy dessert is perfect. Better yet, it only requires a few ingredients and minimal prep time.
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 4 1/4 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups rice cereal
- Red and blue food coloring
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
- Set your slow cooker to high.
- Slice butter into pieces and add to your slow cooker.
- Cover and let sit until completely melted.
- Add mini marshmallows and cover for 5 minutes, until melted.
- Remove cover and stir well. Let sit for another 2 minutes.
- Stir well again until no chunks or lumps remain.
- Separate mixture into three different bowls.
- Add red food coloring to one and blue food coloring to the second bowl and mix well. Leave the third as is.
- Add 2 cups of rice cereal to each bowl and stir well to coat.
- Cover a 9-by-13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Starting with the red mixture, use your hands to press it into the bottom of the 9-by-13-inch pan.
- Layer the plain mixture next, followed by the blue mixture on top.
- Top with holiday sprinkles and let cool for 1 to 2 hours.
A classic warm-weather dessert, this strawberry shortcake recipe becomes even more festive with the addition of fresh blueberries.
- 2 1/4 cups pancake mix
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 quart fresh blueberries
- Whipped cream, for topping
- In a medium bowl, combine the pancake mix, 1/2 cup sugar, milk and applesauce. Mix until a dough forms.
- Use a slow cooker liner for the bottom, or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Press the dough into the bottom with your hands, spreading evenly.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Turn the shortcake out onto a plate.
- Gently toss blueberries and strawberries with remaining sugar.
- Spoon berries over shortcake.
- Serve with whipped topping if desired.
Red, White and Blue Cheesecake Bars
To make the bars square-shaped, you'll need your Crock-Pot® 3.5-Quart Casserole Crock™ Slow Cooker. Sweet and savory, these delicious cheesecake bars filled with fresh fruit make great bite-sized treats for any holiday!
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 packages (12 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, whisked together
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- In a small bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs and butter.
- Use a slow cooker liner and then press mixture firmly into the bottom of your casserole crock slow cooker.
- Using a food processor, blend the cream cheese and sugar well. Add eggs slowly one at a time, blending in between each.
- Pour milk in a small bowl and slowly whisk in cornstarch, until smooth.
- Add milk and cornstarch mixture and lemon juice to your food processor. Blend until creamy.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture from the food processor on top of the graham cracker crust.
- Spread evenly across so that top is smooth.
- Scatter fresh raspberries and blueberries across the top.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 hours, or until set.
- Let sit for 30 minutes, then let cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes.