Homemade Cake Frosting for Valentine's Day
Nothing says I love you like the taste of a fresh, homemade cake baked to perfection. To ensure it's moist and delicious, why not try slow cooking your recipe instead of baking it? And while you're at it, top it off with some just-whipped, creamy-smooth frosting. We've got the perfect recipes to make this Valentine's Day extra special and sweet! If cake is not your thing, these frosting recipes work with cookies too. With all three frostings prepared, you can have a Valentine's cookie frosting party for the kids with heart-shaped cookies!
This wonderfully simple cake is as traditional as it is delicious. With slightly caramelized edges, this sweet and fluffy cake can be topped with almost any kind of frosting imaginable. Create this cake in your Crock-Pot® Smart-Pot® 4-Quart Digital Slow Cooker the night before Feb. 14, and you'll have a delectable creation to frost on the big day.
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Using a stand mixer, combine all but 1 tablespoon of butter and the sugars and cream with paddle attachment for several minutes until the batter is smooth and pale.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla and blend well at medium-high speed for another 3 to 4 minutes, until fluffy.
- Add the buttermilk and oil and mix briefly to combine.
- Bring the mixer to a low speed and add in the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until the batter has come together with no lumps, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice.
- Use the remaining butter to grease the inside of your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, until cake has set and is cooked through at the center.
- Allow cake to cool before frosting with one of the homemade frosting recipes below!
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Sweet and savory, this homemade buttercream frosting is simple to make and great for topping any cookie, cupcake or cake!
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk.
- Using a spoon or electric mixer, beat powdered sugar and butter together in a medium bowl.
- Slowly stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk.
- Gradually stir in the rest of the milk until the frosting is smooth and spreadable.
Red Velvet Frosting
You can't properly celebrate Valentine's Day without a homemade batch of inspired red velvet frosting.
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons red food coloring.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese and butter, mixing until smooth.
- Gradually add in the buttermilk, cocoa powder and vanilla and continue beating until creamy.
- Slowly add in the confectioner's sugar, continuing to mix well.
- Add the desired amount of red food coloring to make your frosting pink or red for the occasion.
Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Rich, chocolaty and irresistible, the recipe for this frosting is out of this world. Complete any romantic dessert with this dark chocolate buttercream frosting and tiny red cinnamon hearts.
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
- With an electric beater, blend the confectioner's sugar, butter, half-and-half, vanilla extra and salt until well combined.
- Beat at a medium speed until the frosting is creamy.
- Slowly add in the cocoa powder, blending completely.
- If need be, you can add more half-and-half for a more spreadable consistency.
- Use this frosting on any Valentine's Day dessert you'd like!