Slow-Cooked Tomato Sauce for Any Occasion
There's nothing better than rich red tomato sauce stewed for hours in your slow cooker on a Sunday afternoon: enjoying it with loved ones. Cooking down the ripe tomatoes reduces their bitterness and brings out their full sweetness. The longer the spices and tomatoes slow cook, the more intense and zesty the sauce will taste. Slow-cooked tomato sauce is great for homemade pizzas, over a bed of spaghetti or for dipping bread. For a heartier meat sauce to serve over ziti, add meatballs or browned beef to the sauce and slow cook with herbs and seasonings.
For time-saving convenience and for optimal flexibility, slow cook this tomato sauce in your Crock-Pot® Smart-Pot® 4-Quart Digital Slow Cooker. Set your sauce to cook with just the touch of a button, step out of the house to start your day and walk in hours later to the mouth-watering aroma of homemade tomato sauce ready to serve over an Italian dinner of your choice.
Slow-Cooked Tomato Sauce
Using juicy, plump tomatoes at their peak ripeness, with a dash of sugar added, gives this sauce the most robust and full-bodied flavor.
- 16 cups chopped tomatoes (about 14 pounds of tomatoes)
- 4 onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- Add tomatoes, onions and green bell pepper to slow cooker.
- Cover with vegetable oil and tomato paste.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, oregano, basil, parsley, white sugar, salt, pepper and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle over ingredients in slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 to 15 hours.