Slow-Cooked Coconut Cinnamon Oatmeal
Does your morning routine involve quickly gulping down a mug of coffee, grabbing a sugar-filled granola bar and running out the door in a frenzy no matter how early you set the alarm? Most people want to start their mornings off with a healthy and protein-filled bite but often just can't find the time. Thanks to the slow cooker however, doing so becomes simple and hassle-free. Typically just requiring a short list of ingredients, oatmeal can conveniently be prepared the night before and then slow cooked overnight so that when you wake up in the morning, you have a fresh batch of nutritious oatmeal that will keep you fueled and full through all of your morning meetings and obligations.
Using the Crock-Pot® Smart-Pot® 4-Quart Digital Slow Cooker you can gain optimal flexibility with programmable cook settings on HIGH with 4 or 6 hour selections and LOW with 8 or 10 hour selections. No matter how early or late you wake up in the mornings, you can select the cook time to fit your customized schedule.
Coconut Cinnamon Oatmeal with Dates
Naturally sweetened with coconut, cinnamon and dates, this wholesome and delicious, making it a great way to kick-start your day. This recipe makes eight servings.
- 1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- Chopped dates, for serving
- Yogurt or half-and-half, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine steel cut oats, salt, shredded coconut, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Pour into slow cooker and cover with coconut milk and water.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, until creamy.
- Top with dates and yogurt if desired.
Bonus tip: For other healthy oatmeal topping options consider nut butter, coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds, raisins, dried fruit, chia seeds, sliced banana and more.