3 Mediterranean-Inspired Recipes
Add a little Mediterranean flare to your next Sunday night dinner with one of these three recipes. Slow-cooked shoulder lamb, Mediterranean turkey breast and Greek chicken pita folds burst with juicy sun-dried tomatoes, rich Kalamata olives and lots of zest. Slow cook these dishes in your Crock-Pot® 6-Quart Programmable Cook & Carry™ Slow Cooker and you and your family will feel as though your dining on a terrace overlooking the Mediterranean Sea.
Mediterranean Turkey Breast
Light and full of flavor, this turkey breast recipe is one of the best dishes out there. This meal is fun and easy to make and the irresistible aroma drifting through the kitchen will have the entire family racing for their plates.
- 4 pounds boneless turkey breast, trimmed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
- Place the trimmed turkey breast in the bottom of your slow cooker with 1/4 cup of the chicken broth.
- Add the lemon juice, chopped onions, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, Greek seasoning, salt and pepper on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup of chicken broth with the 3 tablespoons of flour. Whisk until smooth.
- After 7 hours, pour the flour and broth mixture into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- Slice turkey before serving.
Greek Chicken Pita Folds
This combination of tender chicken, flavorful spices and crunchy fresh veggies, all wrapped together in a warm pita is a real winning meal.
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, sliced into thin half moons
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 pita pockets
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tomato, sliced or diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced in thin strips.
- Combine the onion, garlic, chicken, lemon pepper, oregano and allspice in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Mix so that the chicken is fully coated in all of the seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, take the onions and chicken out of the slow cooker and shred chicken into small pieces. Cover chicken and onions to keep warm.
- Blend the yogurt and remaining seasonings and juices in your slow cooker. Mix well.
- Fill each pita pocket with a serving of chicken and onions and top with the sliced tomato, chopped cucumber and red pepper strips.
- Drizzle the warm yogurt sauce into each pita pocket.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Mediterranean Lamb Stew
For a heartier Mediterranean dish, try this simple recipe for a Greek-style lamb stew. Notes of wine, mint and lemon blend perfectly to compliment the vegetables and meat in this delicious dinner.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 16 Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/4 cup medium white wine
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds lean lamb stew meat, 1/4-inch trim
- 1/4 ounce bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canned tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup fat-free chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped.
- Pour olive oil and onions into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, carrots and lemon halves into the slow cooker - flesh down.
- In a large bowl combine the wine, oregano, black pepper, lamb meat, bay leaf, salt, tomato paste and chicken stock. Mix well.
- Pour seasoned lamb and mixture into slow cooker. Don't stir.
- Refrigerate the chopped fresh mint.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
- Carefully remove lid and gently stir.
- Remove the bay leaf and lemon halves with tongs.
- Serve warm into bowls and garnish with refrigerated mint.