Slow-Cooked White Chocolate Bread Pudding
The infamous Christmas pudding served at the end of every big holiday meal has taken on many variations over the years and is far different from the original British dish served many centuries ago. Legend goes that the one creating the decadent dish would make a wish while stirring the batter and sometimes add a coin into the pudding. Whoever got the piece of pudding with the coin would have prosperity in the coming year.
Whether you make your pudding weeks or months in advance like the British once did or douse it in brandy and set it on fire as tradition goes, here is a tasty new Christmas pudding recipe worth trying this season. Use your Crock-Pot® Smart-Pot® 4-Quart Digital Slow Cooker for the perfect pudding.
White Chocolate Bread Pudding
Most puddings require lengthy lists of ingredients and extensive preparing. For a slightly simpler Christmas pudding, try this white chocolate bread pudding recipe with a sweet caramel sauce on top. The rich, savory taste of this dish will have you going back for seconds, and even thirds.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups white chocolate chips
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 loaf stale bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups toasted pecans.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the heavy cream. Once it comes to a simmer, bring the heavy cream to a large bowl and mix with the white chocolate chips, whisking until all the chocolate has dissolved.
- Mix in the sugar, milk, eggs, egg yolks and vanilla until a custard forms.
- Add the bread cubes into the mixture, gently stirring until they are coated.
- Let the bread soak for about 45 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Add the pecans in the bread soaked mixture and then pour the entire batch into your slow cooker insert.
- Cover the insert and place it in your slow cooker and cook on high for 1 1/2 hours until the custard in the center is set.
Homemade Caramel Sauce for the Bread Pudding
Complete your Christmas pudding with the recipe for this sweet, homemade caramel sauce.
Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup whiskey
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- Using a little saute pan, pour the whiskey and place the pan over medium heat.
- To flambe the whiskey, gently tilt the pan over the flame so that it catches fire. As soon as that happens, remove from heat.
- The flame will continue to burn until it self-extinguishes. This will signal that the alcohol has been burned from the whiskey.
- Set that aside and in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup. Mix together until it thickens then place on high-heat until the mixture begins to boil.
- In another saucepan, combine the the butter, cream and salt and place over medium heat. Cook until the butter is melted.
- Keep an eye on the sugar pan to be sure it doesn't scorch. Heat it until the mixture becomes a rich caramel color.
- As soon as it does, remove it from the heat and slowly pour in the cream mixture. Take caution with this step as both are very hot.
- Slowly mix in the whiskey and vanilla, stirring until the caramel stops bubbling.
When both the pudding and caramel sauce are ready, serve the pudding in bowls and drizzle the sauce on top. Enjoy!