Kickoff College Football Season With 3 Tailgate-ready Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
When you think of the perfect football tailgate, what do you imagine? You're likely envisioning a day and evening of great company, tons of laughs and, of course, delicious food. You don't even have to like sports to enjoy the party beforehand. With the right appetizers and main courses, diehard sports lovers and fair weather fans alike will be able to live in harmony throughout the game. Here's what you should plan on preparing for the event to keep all parties in high spirits.
1. Slow Cooker Pizza Dip
Is it pizza? Is it dip? With this pizza dip, you're able to have the best of both worlds. The best part is, you don't need to spend much time preparing it or tending to your oven. Grab your slow cooker and some key ingredients and get to work making all of your guests' dreams come true before the game even starts.
- 1 12-ounce jar pizza sauce
- 1 cup chopped turkey or regular pepperoni
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened and cubed
- Broccoli flowerets, cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks, if desired.
Place pizza sauce, pepperoni, onions, pepper and olives in slow cooker. Cover with lid and cook on low for 3 hours. Add in mozzarella and cream cheese, stir to combine and cover with lid. Continue to cook on low for 30 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve warm with vegetables, bread and crackers for dipping.
2. Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
The pizza dip is just the beginning of warm, hearty dishes that football fans will love almost more than they love the game. Serve your guests this chicken chili for the main event that's sure to fill their stomachs and get them game-ready.
- 2 pounds ground chicken, coarsely ground preferred
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4-ounce can green chili peppers
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 10 ounces), peeled and shredded
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
Place chicken in slow cooker, then add chili powder, beans, green chili peppers, sweet potato, chicken broth and spices. Stir together completely. Cover with lid and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Just before serving, stir together again and add more chili powder, salt and pepper according to your preference. Doing so will make the flavor even bolder.
3. Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken Wings
What kind of football game would it be without a hot plate of messy chicken wings? Prepare this easy dish in your slow cooker for a perfect sports snack that takes minimal effort on your part. The end result will be sweet and savory with a bold kick that everyone will absolutely love.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cubes chicken bullion
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha, or more, to taste
- 16 whole chicken wings and legs
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, chicken bullion and Sriracha. Mix well, then brush on chicken wings and legs so they're completely covered in the mixture. Place seasoned meat in slow cooker and cover with lid. Cook on low for 4 hours. In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch and water together. Add mixture to slow cooker and stir together. Cover with lid and cook on high for another 15 minutes. Sprinkle sesame seeds and cilantro leaves for an added kick and serve warm.