Tonight's Slow Cooker Dinner: Apple, Cranberry and Rosemary Pot Roast
When you're crunched for time most nights of the week, juggling a busy schedule and numerous obligations, it's easy to go for the pre-packaged, frozen dinners or to just pick up the phone to order pizza. However, there is a simple way to make wholesome, healthy meals with little preparation. By slow cooking, all you have to do is a little bit of chopping and slicing. From there, set the cook time and temperature on your slow cooker and step away - for the entire day - while it takes care of the rest!
Never before has it been more simple or more satisfying to walk through your front door at the end of a long day to the warm aroma of pot roast, ready to eat. With the Crock-Pot® 7-Quart Programmable Cook & Carry™ Slow Cooker, you can let your meal slow cook all day long while you go about your day. With a large capacity and convenient carry handles, you can even bring your pot roast with you to the next potluck or picnic, without having to transfer it to a different container.
Enjoy this delicious pot roast recipe with the knowledge that all of the hard work takes care of itself:
Apple, Cranberry and Rosemary Pot Roast
Combining notes of floral, fruit and spice, this colorful pot roast delivers healthy servings of fruits and vegetables. The apple cider vinegar and Dijon mustard cut right into the roast while the cranberry sauce and fruits bring a subtle sweetness to the meal. It's great for family meals during the week or dinner parties, no matter what time of year it is. If preferred, this recipe can also be made with a boneless turkey breast instead of pork.
- 3 to 4 pound pot roast, excess fat removed and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, stem removed & minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium apples, cored and sliced
- 1 can whole cranberry sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Add pot roast to the bottom of your slow cooker and drizzle with olive oil.
- In a bowl, combine dry red wine, shallot, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, apples, cranberry sauce, apple cider vinegar and Dijon mustard.
- Pour mixture over pot roast.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 6 hours.
- Serve with rice and extra sauce from slow cooker.