Making 5-Ingredient Granola in Your Slow Cooker
Your slow cooker is good for more than just soups and meals. It's easy to make snacks and breakfast foods as well. As one of the most versatile pantry items, granola is great for snacking, topping your oatmeal or yogurt with, adding to salads or mixing into cereal. What makes granola even better is when it's homemade.
The Crock-Pot® Smart-Pot® 4-Quart Digital Slow Cooker makes healthy cooking easier than ever. Thanks to the programmable cook settings ranging from HIGH with 4 or 6-hour selections and LOW with 8 or 10-hour selections, you get the utmost flexibility. With just the touch of a button you can set your slow cooker to cook conveniently around your schedule for the day. And, when cook time is complete, the slow cooker automatically shifts to the WARM setting until you're home or ready to dig in. Small and sleek, this 4-quart slow cooker makes life simpler, one slow-cooked meal or snack at a time.
With a list of just five ingredients, a few minutes of preparation time and your slow cooker, you can have a fresh batch of hearty, flavorful granola that can be enjoyed for days. Perfectly crunchy with a hint of sweetness from the honey, this is a granola you'll want to make again and again. Mix-ins of your choice can range from toasted coconut flakes and chocolate chunks to dried fruits such as cranberries, raisins, dried pineapple, dried mangos and more. Nuts including almonds, cashews, peanut and pecans make for great healthy additions to your granola as well.
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups crispy brown rice cereal
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup mix-ins of choice
- Use a Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker Liner.
- In a bowl, combine old-fashioned oats and rice cereal.
- In another bowl, mix egg whites and honey and whisk.
- Pour honey mixture over dried cereal and use a large spoon or spatula to mix well until all oats and cereal are coated.
- Add mixture to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, stirring every 45 or so to ensure granola doesn't burn near edges.
- Once granola is a crispy as desired, transfer to lined baking sheet to cool.
- Add in your choice of mix-ins and enjoy.
- To store granola, place in airtight containers in a dry, cool place.