The Best Slow-Cooked Meals For Busy Families
Slow cooking enables you to prepare hearty, homemade meals early in the morning and let them cook all day long. That means no matter how busy you may be, you gain the convenience and flexibility of preparing meals ahead of time so that the entire family can walk in to a tasty, nutritious and satisfying dinner that's hot and ready to enjoy. Forget the frozen dinners and family-size pizzas: Slow cooking is the healthier, more convenient way to keep your busy family fed and fueled.
Healthy, simple-to-prepare and downright delicious, these are meals you can make in advance and then slow cook when you're ready with the Crock-Pot® 6-Quart Programmable Cook & Carry® Slow Cooker. The digital countdown timer provides the ultimate flexibility with programmable cook-times anywhere from 30 minutes to 20 hours.
Barbecue Beef Brisket
Smoky and savory, this Texas-inspired hearty beef brisket is satisfyingly good. Best of all, except for the beef, each of these ingredients can likely be found right in your cupboard!
- 3 pounds beef brisket
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup packaged brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- For the rub, combine the chili powder, garlic powder, celery seed and pepper in a bowl.
- Rub over beef brisket and place in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- In another bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour sauce all over brisket to coat evenly.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove meat when ready and cut the brisket across the grain, making thin slices.
- Drizzle remaining liquid over sliced brisket and serve!
Cheesy Chicken and Rice
This simple dinner is perfect for busy nights. Easy to make but filled with protein and lots of flavor, this dish will become your go-to recipe for the craziest of days.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 ounce) box yellow rice, cooked according to package
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, or cheese blend
- 1 (15 ounce) can of corn, drained
- Place chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker and top with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a bowl, combine the 2 cups of chicken stock and the cream of chicken soup.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks.
- Return to slow cooker.
- Add cooked yellow rice, cheese and corn, mixing to combine, until cheese is melted.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
There are plenty of tasty vegetarian options for busy nights too, including this veggie-filled stew.
- 4 large carrots, diagonally sliced into 2-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 (16-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- Combine all ingredients except zucchini and chickpeas in your slow cooker and combine well.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Add zucchini and chickpeas and cook for 1 hour longer.
- Serve in bowls warm.