Five-Minute Prep Dinners
Life gets busy and with the balancing act of work, play, school, family and friends, making dinner each night of the week may prove to be a challenge. However, did you know it's possible to prepare an entire family dinner in just five minutes? Slow cooking provides convenience in preparation. By cutting down on time spent chopping, stirring and planning dinner, mealtime becomes enjoyable again.
With a slow cooker such as the Crock-Pot® 5-Quart Countdown Digital Slow Cooker, each of these recipes requires just five minutes of assembly either the night before or first thing in the morning.
Chicken and Butternut Squash Curry
This rich and flavorful curry takes just five minutes to prepare, thanks to the pre-peeled and pre-chopped butternut squash that this recipe calls for. Slow-cooked to perfection, this warm curry dish makes for the perfect weeknight meal.
- 1 to 2 pounds pre-peeled and pre-cut butternut squash
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen pearl onions
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peas
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- Coconut flakes, for garnish
- Chili flakes, for garnish
- Combine butternut squash, chicken thighs, pearl onions, peas, coconut milk, tomato paste and salt.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
- Mix well, until all chicken is broken up.
- Serve warm and top with coconut and chili flakes, if desired.
Teriyaki Pork Roast
For a tender and savory pork roast that takes just minutes to assemble in your slow cooker before setting it to cook all day long, try out this teriyaki recipe served with a side of steamed or roasted vegetables. It's a tasty and satisfying meal that the whole family will love.
- 1 boneless pork shoulder or butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Cut pork shoulder or butt roast in half and rub with brown sugar.
- Place the pork in the bottom of your 5- or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover with apple juice and soy sauce and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until meat is tender.
- When finished, remove and keep warm.
- Skim fat.
- Mix cornstarch, water and cooking juices in slow cooker until smooth.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes, until thickened.
- Serve warm with pork.
For a hearty and zesty Mexican dish that doesn't require the additional hassle of tortillas or taco shells, try out this delicious and easy to make recipe for enchilada orzo.
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (10-ounce) mild enchilada sauce
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, and more, as needed
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen or canned
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- Combine diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, green chilies, vegetable broth, corn and black beans in slow cooker. Mix well.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top with cream cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove cover and stir until cream cheese is fully melted and combined.
- Mix in orzo and cook for 15 to 30 more minutes.
- Add more vegetable broth as needed.
- Serve warm.