Slow-Cooked Sweet Potatoes with Bacon
Sweet potatoes are a hearty, yet simple way to spice up any meal you're cooking - no matter the season. Adding seasonal flavor and flair to your menu, these tasty potatoes require hardly any preparation work and once they're sliced or chopped, they can be left to cook themselves. This year, as the perfect side dish for your holiday dinner or as a mini-meal itself on any old night of the week, try out this sweet and savory recipe for your slow cooker.
Best of all, if you're making this to bring to a friend's dinner party or potluck, preparing it in the Crock-Pot® Single Hand Cook & Carry® 6-Quart Oval Slow Cooker makes transport easier than ever. Created with a secure-fit locking lid, easy-grasp handle and one-hand design, this appliance is travel-friendly and even frees up a hand for you to wave, open the door and greet your friends. Once you've made this mouth-watering, yet easy to prepare, dish, simply lock, grab and go with just a single hand!
Sweet Potatoes with Bacon
You can never go wrong with sweet potatoes, no matter how they're prepared. But this sweet potato recipe with salty, crisped-to-perfection bacon, sweet orange juice and fresh herbs and spices, truly infuses a variety of different flavors into one delicious dish. Enjoy!
- 4 pounds slender sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Place sweet potatoes in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine the orange juice concentrate, melted butter, brown sugar and salt.
- Pour over sweet potatoes and toss to coat.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 1/2 to 6 hours, until potatoes are tender.
- Place potatoes on serving tray, using a slotted spoon to transfer.
- Turn slow cooker up to high.
- In a bowl, whisk together cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cold water, until smooth.
- Pour into cooking liquid in slow cooker.
- Cook and whisk constantly for 3 to 5 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Return potatoes to slow cooker with sauce.
- Stir together parsley, orange zest and garlic.
- Sprinkle mixture over potatoes and top with crumbled bacon.