3 Recipes for the Ultimate Memorial Day Weekend Picnic
Memorial Day weekend is all about enjoying the first bit of warm weather, spending time celebrating outside with family and friends and making the perfect dishes for the ultimate picnic. This year, the only two things you need to ensure your holiday weekend goes off without a hitch is this list of great recipes and the Crock-Pot® Single Hand Cook & Carry® 6-Quart Oval Slow Cooker. Instantly free up a hand with the easy-grasp handle for single-hand carrying. Designed to make transportation easier than ever, this slow cooker is perfect for bringing your famous chicken casserole to the backyard party without any hassle at all. Just lock, grab and go with a single hand!
Spicy, zesty and very flavorful, this recipe for jerk chicken is perfect for the warmer weather of Memorial Day weekend. To make it a main dish, serve the jerk chicken with white or brown rice.
- 6 to 7 chicken thighs
- 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 or more scotch bonnet pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tablespoon allspice coarsely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium scallions, chopped
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice or pineapple
- 1 tablespoon bouillon powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to season.
- Trim excess fat from chicken and pat dry.
- Rub with Creole spice and lemon to season.
- In a food processor, combine pepper, garlic, cinnamon, allspice, white pepper, nutmeg, brown sugar, onion, scallions, thyme, ginger, soy sauce, pineapple juice and bouillon powder.
- Pulse for 30 seconds until blended.
- Drench the chicken with 3/4 of the jerk marinate, place in a zip lock bag and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Avoid touching the marinade because it will be very spicy hot.
- Add chicken and marinade to your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Pour remaining marinade on top and enjoy!
Slow-Cooked Corn on the Cob
Corn on the cob is a staple of almost every spring and summertime gathering but did you know you could slow cook corn on the cob? Once you try this method, you'll never boil your corn again!
- 8 to 10 ears of corn, husked and silk removed
- Aluminum foil
- Olive oil
- Pepper, freshly ground
- Place each corn ear in the center of a sheet of foil.
- Brush each all over with olive oil, and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and salt.
- Add any additional spice combinations you would like, such as pesto, curry coconut or chilli lime.
- Wrap up each ear tightly, tucking the ends.
- Place the foil wrapped cobs of corn, seam side up, inside the slow cooker.
- No water is necessary.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours.
- Remove from slow cooker and add salt and butter.
Chicken Pasta Salad
This delightful slow cooked recipe for chicken pasta salad takes the classic bow-tie pasta salad and makes it mouth-watering with tender chicken slow cooked to perfection.
- 3 whole chicken breasts
- Water, to cover
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 6 ounces bow-tie pasta, cooked
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds.
- Slice chicken breasts and place them in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Cover with water, celery, onion, salt and peppercorns.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove and let cool.
- Cut into chunks or shred.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar, sugar, pepper and ground ginger to make the dressing.
- Toss together the chicken, spinach and pasta.
- Combine with dressing and toss again.
- Stir in parsley and green onions. Top with toasted sesame seeds.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Slow cooking this chocolate chip cookie cake yields the best results, making a much more fluffy and moist cake than the traditional oven-baked ones.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts.
- Thoroughly grease the bottom of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- In one bowl, beat the butter, eggs, sugars and vanilla together until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, stir the flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Add in the chocolate chips and walnuts until well blended.
- Evenly spoon and spread the dough into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Smooth the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool and serve just warm.