The Best Winter Casserole Dishes
Winter is the perfect time for cooking warm and tasty casseroles and there's still time to try out a few more before the spring weather arrives! No matter what the temperature is outside, put on your coziest sweater and turn on your Crock-Pot® Casserole Crock. This unique stoneware dish is designed to create ultimate comfort food - lasagnas, casseroles and even desserts - with simplicity and convenience in mind.
Slowly cooked to perfection, these casserole recipes will create a warm and hearty meal for the entire family to enjoy. Give one of these four casseroles a try!
Nothing says comfort like tender, juicy beef topped with creamy mashed potatoes. The addition of a dark Guinness adds even more robust flavor to this tasty dish.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth (low-sodium)
- 1 cup Guinness, or other stout beer
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter.
- Brown ground beef in the stovetop-safe insert of a slow cooker over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Working in batches, sear the beef until browned on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes per batch.
- Transfer the insert with the ground beef into your slow cooker and add carrots, onion, beef broth, Guinness, tomato paste, all-purpose flour, salt and pepper.
- Top with the potatoes, nestling them into the liquid.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours, until potatoes are tender.
- Transfer potatoes to a medium bowl.
- Add frozen peas to slow cooker, cover and warm for about 2 to 3 minutes until peas are heated through.
- Mash potatoes with milk and butter, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the shepherd's pie stew topped with the mashed potatoes, enjoy warm.
Cheesy Ravioli Casserole
Warm up and satisfy all your cheesy pasta cravings with this gourmet ravioli casserole dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can four-cheese spaghetti sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 packages frozen beef-filled ravioli
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped.
- Cook onion and garlic with olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion is tender.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning.
- Bring 1 cup of the sauce mixture to the bottom of your slow cooker. Add in 1 package of frozen ravioli and top with 1 cup of cheese. Top with remaining frozen ravioli package, remaining mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours or until ravioli are tender.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Chicken Broccoli and Quinoa Casserole
This twist on the classic comfort food casserole is light, creamy and just as gratifying as ever.
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/3 cup cream of mushroom
- 1 1/3 cup cream of chicken
- 16 ounce bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place cooked quinoa in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place on top of quinoa.
- Top with cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, broccoli florets and chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Add cheese on top and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This flavorful and hearty Mexican dish will be a hit with the entire family.
- 2 cans chopped green chiles
- 1 can condescend cream of chicken soup
- 1 can green chile enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into 3/4-inch strips
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream.
- Spray your slow cooker insert with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread 1 can of green chiles on the bottom.
- Mix together the remaining green chiles, the soup, enchilada sauce and mayonnaise.
- Place 1/3 of tortilla strips on top of green chiles in your slow cooker. Top with 1 cup of chicken, 1/2 cup of black beans and 1 cup of the enchilada sauce mix.
- Spread to edges of slow cooker to ensure that all tortilla strips are covered.
- Repeat these layers twice, reserving the last 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Top with remaining cheese and warm until melted.
- Serve warm with tomatoes, lettuce and sour cream and enjoy!