3 Slow-Cooked Recipes to Make for Spring
- Slow Cooker Sundays
The eggs are dyed, the baskets are filled with candy and the entire family is dressed in their Sunday best. All that's left to do is set the table, pour the drinks and check on your slow-cooked dish! Consider these three, spring-inspired dishes for the upcoming holidays.
Maple and Brown Sugar Ham
A festive spring brunch, lunch or dinner just isn't complete with the traditional ham. The delicious, mouth-watering aroma of this main dish slow cooking in your Crock-Pot® 7-Quart Programmable Cook & Carry™ Slow Cooker, with a maple brown sugar glaze, will even be strong enough to pull the little ones away from their chocolate-filled eggs.
- 1 fully cooked ham (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup maple syrup.
- Coat your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make cuts 1/4-inch deep and 1 inch apart in a diamond pattern on ham.
- Place ham in slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix brown sugar, honey, mustard and maple syrup together. Whisk until blended.
- Pour mixture over ham.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve warm as the main dish.
Spinach and Gruyere Strata
This grilled cheese-inspired casserole is a perfect side dish for brunch or dinner. This recipe calls for browning and slow cooking, but with the Crock-Pot® 5-in-1 Multi-Cooker, you can eliminate the transfer to and from the oven and do both steps right in your slow cooker!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 loaf country or challah bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 ounces baby spinach
- 6 ounce Gruyere, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, minced, for garnish.
- Select the brown/saute option on your Multi-Cooker and set the temperature to 350 degrees.
- Allow slow cooker to preheat.
- Add oil, garlic, onions and pinch of salt.
- Saute for about 3 to 5 minutes, until golden.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, heavy cream, milk, pepper, nutmeg and ground mustard. Mix well to combine.
- Add in bread cubes, mixing well to fully coat. Add spinach and Gruyere and coat as well.
- Add bread mixture to slow cooker and stir to mix with onions and garlic.
- Cover and switch function to slow cook and set on low for 3 1/2 hours.
- Change setting to warm until ready to serve.
- Garnish with chives and enjoy!
Apple Spiced Cake
If you've still got room for dessert after all of those goodies and treats, try out this apple spiced cake recipe using your Crock-Pot® Casserole Crock™ 2.5-Quart Oval Slow Cooker. Calling for just four ingredients, it's equally as delicious as it is easy to make.
- 2 cans apple pie filling
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 box spiced cake mix
- 1 stick butter, melted.
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the two cans of apple pie filling into the bottom and spread evenly.
- In a bowl, combine the dry cake mix and melted butter. Stir until crumbly.
- Pour into slow cooker over apple pie filling and spread evenly.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.