3 Slow-Cooked Side Dishes
If you're looking to serve tasty side dishes prepared with unique, new flavors and spices look no further than these delicious recipes for slow-cooked side dishes to make, and also take with you if you're going to a party or potluck dinner. When you prepare these recipes in the Crock-Pot® Single Hand Cook & Carry® 6-Quart Oval Slow Cooker, you can slow cook, then easily lock, grab and go…and still have a free hand to open the trunk, close the door or greet your friends. The travel-friendly design makes bringing over a side dish easier and more convenient than ever before.
Lemony White Bean and Carrot Spinach Salad
Fresh white beans, spinach and carrots blend with zesty lemon and nutty pistachio flavors to create a wonderful dish that non-meat eaters can sink their teeth into.
- 1 1/2 cups Great Northern beans, soaked and cooked
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 cups no-salt added chicken stock
- 1 package fresh baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, finely shredded
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 medium avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- Lemon wedges, optional.
- Combine cooked beans, carrots, onion, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Pour chicken stock over mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- If desired, remove 1/2 cup of cooking liquid and set aside.
- Drain bean mixture and remove any remaining cooking liquid.
- Bring mixture to hot cooker and stir in spinach, lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer bean mixture to serving platter and top with avocado, cheese and pistachios.
- Top with lemon wedges (if desired) and drizzle with remaining cooking liquid.
Orange-Sage Sweet Potatoes with Bacon
This candied side dish combines sweet, salty and citrus flavors, that make a delicious accompaniment to savory meat and poultry dishes.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaf, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 4 slices bacon, cooked.
- Place the sliced sweet potato rounds in the bottom of your 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together orange juice, brown sugar, salt, sage and thyme.
- Pour mixture over sweet potato slices and toss to coat.
- Dot with sliced butter.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- When finished, toss again to coat and top with crispy, crumbled bacon bits.
Warm Eggplant and Kale Panzanella
Made with juicy tomatoes and sweet peppers and tossed with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, this hearty side dish is one that everyone will enjoy.
- 4 cups eggplant, chopped
- 1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 1 garlic clove, minced