3 Slow-Cooked Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes
Lasagna - one of the easiest meals to make in your slow cooker - is a classic family favorite. However, some prefer to forego this hearty dish as it's typically prepared with traditional meat sauce. If you would like to try some unique and creative twists for vegetarian lasagna, these three recipes are full of flavor and tasty spices.
1. Eggplant Lasagna
This bright purple vegetable is not only a great source of dietary fiber, potassium and several important vitamins, but it also brings amazing taste to a homemade, slow-cooked lasagna dish.
- 2 eggplants, sliced into long, thin noodles with a mandoline
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup of cottage cheese
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, with 1 ounce set aside
- Layer the bottom of your 4- to 6-quart slow cooker with eggplant noodles.
- Top with a layer of sauce, diced onions, diced pepper, cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat these layers three more times.
- Add one final layer of eggplant and top with sauce.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 hours, or until eggplant is softened.
- Add 1 ounce of mozzarella cheese that was set aside, and let sit to melt.
- Enjoy warm!
2. Squash Lasagna
Layering your cheese and noodles with hearty and tender squash, this bright orange vegetable brings an exciting flavor to a traditional meal.
- 2 packages frozen winter squash puree, thawed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (32-ounce) container ricotta
- 6 cups baby spinach
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 12 lasagna noodles (about 3/4 of a 16-ounce box)
- 2 cups mozzarella, grated (about 2 cups)
- In a medium bowl combine the squash and nutmeg. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, spinach, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- In the bottom of your 4- or 6-quart slow cooker, spread 1/2 cup of the squash mixture.
- Layer with 3 lasagna noodles, breaking if necessary to fit.
- Top those with half the remaining squash mixture, another 3 lasagna noodles and half the ricotta mixture.
- Repeat these layers, ending with the ricotta mixture.
- Layer with sprinkled mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, or until noodles are tender.
3. Spinach and Ricotta Lasagna
Requiring just six ingredients, this tasty spinach and ricotta lasagna is simple to prepare and mouth-watering to enjoy.
- 2 packages chopped frozen spinach, thawed and excess moisture removed
- 1 cup ricotta
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 6 regular lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, grated
- In a bowl mix together the spinach, ricotta cheese and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- In another bowl, combine the marinara sauce and 1/2 cup water.
- Spread 3/4 cup of the marinara mixture in the bottom of your 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Top with 2 noodles, breaking to fit if needed.
- Top with 3/4 cup of remaining marinara mixture, half the spinach mixture and 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat these layers, ending with remaining marinara mixture and cheeses.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours, or until noodles are tender.