2 Breakfasts You Didn't Know You Could Make in Your Slow Cooker
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day but all too often the rush of everyday life gets in the way and the morning meal becomes an easy-to-grab muffin or donut. However, by slow cooking one of these two breakfast recipes, you'll save yourself time and money. By preparing these breakfast dishes the night before, you'll have a delicious and filling meal waiting for you as soon as you wake up - it doesn't get much better than that!
Quinoa Energy Bars
Filled with apples and raisins, these quinoa bars contain lots of energy and healthy carbs to keep you fueled throughout the busy morning. Toasted almonds, maple syrup and almond butter deliver the perfect amount of sweetness while still keeping it healthy.
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup dried apples, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Use liners for the inside of your Crock-Pot® 5-Quart Smart-Pot® Slow Cooker.
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, combine the almond butter and maple syrup. Melt until the almond butter is creamy, about 30 seconds.
- Whisk together the almond butter and maple syrup.
- Stir in almond milk, cinnamon and salt. Blend until the milk is well combined with the almond butter.
- Whisk in the eggs until well incorporated, then stir in all remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture in slow cooker and cook on low for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until the top of the bars are set.
- Run a knife around the outside of the bars and remove the bowl from the slow cooker.
- Allow bars to cool in refrigerator completely.
Sticky Pecan Buns
Sweet, sticky and delicious, these morning buns are a real treat to enjoy on the weekends or any day of the week!
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (not rapid rise)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water, plus extra
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra as needed
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 cup toasted pecans or walnuts, chopped
- Lightly coat the inside of your 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, sugar, salt, oil, 2/3 cup water and 3 cups flour to make the dough. Stir together with large wooden spoon.
- Transfer to floured work surface and knead gently to form soft and supple ball of dough.
- Turn your slow cooker on high for 5 minutes and then turn it off.
- Place the dough inside and cover, allowing it to rise until doubled in size.
- Transfer dough back to floured work surface and use a rolling pin to create a rectangle about 10-by-14 inches.
- Carefully roll up into a log from one long edge to the other. Slice into 12 rolls.
- Place them snuggly in the bottom of your slow cooker and turn to warm setting for 45 minutes, or until rolls have risen and doubled in size.
- Turn slow cooker to low and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, confectioners' sugar, butter, water and vanilla extract until smooth. Add hot water if needed
- Once rolls have finished, pour topping over them in slow cooker. Top with raisins and pecans and enjoy!