Comfort Slow Cooker Recipes for a Snow Day
There's a lot of hype when it comes to the prospect of a potential snow day. Should the snow fall overnight and your family wakes up to school and office closures, be sure to have these staples on hand for a delicious meal that warms from the inside. While your kids are outside making snow angels and snowmen, whip up one of these comfort food recipes in your slow cooker.
Potato and Corn Chowder
This hearty soup is perfect for fueling and warming up. Best of all, it's enough to feed a crowd so you'll have plenty for all of those tired and hungry from playing in the snow.
- 24 ounces red potatoes, diced
- 1 package frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Using a 6- or 7-quart slow cooker, combine the potatoes and corn in the bottom.
- Add flour and toss evenly to coat the corn and potatoes.
- Next, add in chicken stock, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- When done, stir in butter and cream and let heat through. Serve into bowls with crackers or bread.
These delicious chicken fajitas serve as a great meal after a full day of sledding and snowman building. They're simple to make and easy to serve!
- 2-3 whole, boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 6 ounces mixed peppers, chopped
- 6 ounces onions, chopped
- 14 ounces canned black beans, drained
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes
- 14 ounces canned corn, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Cheese, shredded for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Guacamole, for garnish
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Spray a large slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place chicken in the bottom and cover with peppers, onions, black beans, tomatoes, corn, garlic and taco seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove chicken, shred it and return to slow cooker, mixing it well with other ingredients.
- Serve chicken on tortillas and top with cheese, guacamole and sour cream.