Brave the Cold with these Warm Slow-Cooked Soups
If there's one thing that will get you through a blustery cold walk home after work this winter, it's the thought of a warm, wholesome soup ready to enjoy as soon as you walk in the door. This season, treat yourself to a variety of delicious slow-cooked soups. With your Crock-Pot® 6.5-Quart Countdown Touchscreen Digital Slow Cooker taking care of all the work, you'll heat up in no time.
Beef and Butternut Squash Soup
Spiced beef is the perfect pairing for the favored winter vegetable, butternut squash. The robust flavors of both blend together to create a delicious and hearty winter soup.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth (no salt added) or water
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Snipped fresh cilantro.
Trim the beef roast and cut into pieces that are about 2 inches. In your slow cooker, bring together the beef and all other ingredients except for the cilantro. Mix together, cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 8 to 10 hours. Serve in dishes and with rice if desired. Sprinkle a dash of cilantro on top of each for a finishing garnish.
Tomatillo and Turkey Chili with Spelt
The tomatillo, a small fruit known as the Mexican husk tomato is a great addition to any soup. This recipe, with the whole grain wheat spelt, puts a unique spin on the classic chili dish. It's a warm and hearty one that everyone will enjoy.
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound skinless and boneless turkey breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 jar tomatillo salsa (salsa verde)
- 1 can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can sodium-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups whole spelt, rinsed
- 1/ 2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium lime, cut into wedges.
Use cooking spray to coat a skillet and place it over medium heat. Add turkey and cook and stir until the meat is browned on all sides. In your slow cooker, combine the cooked turkey, tomatillo salsa, kidney beans, chicken broth, spelt, white onion, garlic, cumin, coriander and salt. Cover and cook on high for about 3 and 1/2 hours or until spelt is tender. Dish into bowls and top with chopped red onion and 1 lime wedge. Enjoy warm.