Celebrate President's Day With These Classic American Recipes
Did you know that some of Woodrow Wilson's favorite foods included country ham and peach cobbler? Or that when the King and Queen of England visited Franklin Delano Roosevelt at the White House one summer they were served hot dogs? You could have probably guessed however, that a favorite of John F. Kennedy's was a great bowl of chowder, and everyone knows about George Washington's cherry tree.
Although it may not be as widely celebrated as some of the more festive holidays, President's Day is a great opportunity to break out your slow cooker and create some truly American-inspired classic meals to celebrate all of the great leaders of our nation.
Old Fashioned Hamburgers with Barbeque Sauce
It doesn't get much more traditional than the classic hamburger. Spice up this Bill Clinton favorite by slow cooking these tasty homemade burgers in a sizzling barbeque sauce. With the Crock-Pot® Lift & Serve Hinged Lid 6-Quart Oval Slow Cooker you can make these burgers and serve them right from the slow cooker.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs, seasoned with Italian
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 bottle of your favorite barbeque sauce
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- 8 slices cheese of your choice.
- Place the ground beef in a large mixing bowl with the green pepper, onion, bread crumbs and beaten eggs.
- Mix well with your hands or a large fork but be careful not to compact the meat.
- Craft mixture into 8 patties of the desired size and thickness.
- Arrange patties on the bottom of your slow cooker and pour the barbeque sauce on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove cover and place 1 slice of cheese on each burger, heating until melted.
- Serve them from your slow cooker on your choice of buns and condiments.
As one of the all-time best comfort foods, potato salad is a perfect way to celebrate the past leaders of our country. The spices and the unique crunch of the pickles enhances this recipe and are sure to make it a family favorite.
- 10 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 large pickles, diced
- 6 boiled eggs, shelled and sliced.
- Place the potatoes in the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker, such as the Crock-Pot® 4-Quart Manual Slow Cooker. Top with the Italian dressing and red wine vinegar. Cover completely with water.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours, until potatoes are tender but not mushy.
- Drain potatoes and place in refrigerator until cooled.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic salt, onion powder, lemon pepper and paprika. Pour over the cooled potatoes and stir to coat.
- Slowly fold in pickles and eggs.
- Move your slow cooker to your fridge for another 2 hours for salad to absorb flavors and then serve.
President Barack Obama has said that Hawaiian-style chili is one of the meals he enjoys the most. So what better way to celebrate President's Day than with this White House favorite recipe? To make this dish, use the Crock-Pot® 6-Quart Slow Cooker with Stovetop-Safe Cooking Pot. Convenient and versatile, the DuraCeramic™ cooking pot is designed to brown meat safely on the stovetop and then be easily transferred back to your slow cooker - two steps in one pot means less hassle and fewer dirty dishes!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes w/ green chiles
- 1 diced tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup barbeque sauce
- 1 can pineapple chunks, drained w/ juice reserved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
- Place the beef in the DuraCeramic™ cooking pot over medium heat on the stove, and cook until evenly browned. Drain grease.
- Transfer the DuraCeramic™ cooking pot back to your slow cooker and cover beef with onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, beans, barbeque sauce and 3/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice.
- Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin and ground ginger.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Stir in pineapple chunks and serve warm.