Slow-Cooked Minestrone Soup
For a thick, yet light and flavorful soup for any season, the traditional stew of Italy is the way to go. The best thing about minestrone soup is that there is actually no one specific recipe - it simply combines all of the seasonal vegetables available at the time - allowing you to get as creative in the kitchen as you'd like. Beans and other legumes however, are often the key base ingredients. Today, many chose to add their favorite variety of pasta for a more hearty meal.
Slow cooking this recipe in the Crock-Pot® Lift & Serve Hinged Lid 6-Quart Oval Slow Cooker makes serving and cleanup as easy as can be. Designed to enhance serving, this slow cooker is equipped with a durable hinged lid that remains in place as friends and family help themselves to your homemade dish. Eliminating the hassle of where to put the lid, it also reduces the mess you'll need to cleanup afterward. Simply cook, lift and serve!
The next time you're in the mood for a warm and veggie-filled dish, give this delightfully delicious slow-cooked minestrone soup a whirl.
The vegetables in this savory minestrone soup recipe become more flavorful the longer this dish slow cooks. Serve with a hot and fresh loaf of homemade bread for the ultimate comfort dinner in the middle of the week.
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounce) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 12 thin asparagus spears, stems removed and cut into thirds
- 1 cup of frozen sweet peas
- 1 (6 ounce) bag of fresh spinach
- 8 ounces of uncooked ditalini pasta
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Romano cheese, plus more for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, zucchini, diced tomatoes, cannellini and kidney beans, vegetable stock and water to your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, stirring one to two times throughout.
- 15 minutes before serving, add asparagus, sweet peas, spinach and pasta.
- Cover and continue cooking for another 15 minutes, until pasta is cooked through.
- Add cheese and stir.
- Top with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and top with grated cheese for garnish.