The First Stews You Should Make This Fall
It's almost that time of year when the leaves start to change color, the weather gets a little colder and everything becomes pumpkin flavored. It might seem too early to start preparing recipes for the cooler months, but it will be here before you know it. Get a head start and practice your best warm meals for the approaching season. Try the following stews in your Crock-Pot® 6-Quart. Smart Slow Cooker with WeMo® to keeps things extra simple and convenient.
Rosemary Brown Sugar Beef Stew
At first glance, you might not realize how tasty this recipe is, but rosemary and brown sugar pair very well together. Use these key ingredients in your beef stew dish for a unique, sweet and savory twist on the perfect comfort food.
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for coating
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound small white potatoes, halved
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, halved
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
- Sour cream for serving.
In a small bowl, combine paprika, salt, pepper and half of the flour. Toss beef in mixture and make sure the meat chunks are all evenly coated. In a large skillet over medium heat, pour in the olive oil and place beef in pan. Cook until meat browns, then remove from heat. Place in your slow cooker and add potatoes, mushrooms, carrots and onion. Add more oil to your pan and toss in tomato paste, remaining flour and wine and whisk together. Add in beef broth, thyme, caraway seeds, brown sugar and rosemary and whisk that together as well. Simmer gravy mixture and continue to whisk for about 5 minutes. Pour into slow cooker, cover with lid and cook on low for 8 hours. Serve in individual dishes with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy!
Hearty Veggie Stew
If you'd prefer a hearty stew sans meat, this dish is for you. But don't get confused - what this recipe lacks in beef and chicken, it makes up for in flavor. It's jam packed with spices, herbs and vegetables to satisfy all of your cravings and keep you full for hours.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, large dice
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and large dice
- 4 large carrots, diagonally sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 pounds sugar baby pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and large dice
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained.
Pour olive oil into a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and salt and allow to cook for several minutes, then add ginger, cinnamon, coriander, cumin and cayenne. Cook the seasoning for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Place in slow cooker and add potatoes, carrots, turnips, garlic, tomatoes and vegetable broth. Cover with lid and cook on high for 2 hours. Remove lid and add pumpkin or squash, zucchini and chickpeas, then cover and cook for 2 more hours. Stir occasionally, then serve hot with more salt and pepper for guests to add as they wish.