2 Quick and Easy Slow Cooker Vegetarian Casseroles
- Heartwarming Meal
Believe it or not, slow cooker options aren't all that limited for vegetarians. There are still dozens of recipes in your cook book that a perfect combination of healthy and delicious. Just grab your Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker and bring on the greens with these easy-to-make casseroles.
Winter Squash Lasagna
This recipe puts a simple twist on your average lasagna. Buy a winter squash puree to simplify the process, or you can buy whole veggies and mash them yourself.
- 3 cups winter squash puree
- 1 32-ounce container ricotta cheese
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 16-ounce box lasagna noodles
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Grab two large mixing bowls and combine the winter squash puree and nutmeg in one and the spinach, zucchini and ricotta cheese in the other. Add salt and pepper to the spinach and cheese mixture if desired.
- In your Crock-Pot® 6-Quart Slow Cooker, spread 1/2 cup of the squash mixture in an even layer over the bottom, topping with lasagna noodles. Add another half of the squash mixture in the second layer, topping with lasagna noodles.
- The third layer should be half of the ricotta cheese and baby spinach spread. Top with noodles and add the second half of the remaining squash mixture to the next layer.
- The last layer will be the remaining ricotta and spinach, topped with mozzarella instead of noodles.
- Pop the cover on the slow cooker and turn to low, letting it bake for three to four hours.
Chile Relleno Casserole
This Latin-inspired casserole works great as a side dish or even as a breakfast. Make sure you're using your casserole Crock-Pot® Casserole Crock Slow Cooker for this one.
- 3/4 cup corn kernels, frozen
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1/2 red pepper (diced)
- 4 scallions (chopped)
- 2 4-ounce cans diced chilies (drained and squeezed dry between paper towels)
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 dash salt.
- Combine the corn, pepper, scallions, rice and chilies in the slow cooker. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Mix the egg, egg whites and milk together in a bowl and whisk. Add a dash of salt for flavor.
- Combine the egg mixture with the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker, put on the lid and set to high.
The casserole will be done once it starts to brown on the top, which should take roughly between an hour and 1 1/2 hour.