3 Hearty Slow-Cooked Vegan Meals
Whether you choose to eat a diet of plant-based, fibrous foods or simply prefer a vegan meal every now and then, you're likely faced with the complexity of assembling all of the ingredients and making these dishes. However, when you slow cook vegan recipes, it becomes easier than ever. Once you have your list of vegan-approved food items, most of these recipes require minimal preparation.
All you have to do is combine the ingredients with minimal prep time and then add them to your Crock-Pot® 6-Quart Slow Cooker with Stovetop-Safe Cooking Pot. These meals are so easy and so delicious, they may become your new weekly staple.
Sweet Potato Soup
Naturally sweet and flavorful, these orange potatoes make for a tasty soup that's filling and nutritious. Topping your bowl of soup with sliced almonds adds the perfect crunch.
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup plant milk (such as coconut or rice milk)
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 6 to 8 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, onion, celery and garlic in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 5 hours, until potatoes are tender.
- Add milk, tarragon and all-purpose seasoning.
- Cup by cup, use an immersion blender to combine soup.
- Bring blended soup back to slow cooker.
- Stir in spinach, cover and let sit for 20 minutes on off.
- Spoon soup into bowls and top with sliced almonds, sea salt and pepper.
White Bean Cassoulet
If you've seen this French dish before, you may be wondering how it could possibly be vegan. Typically filled with fatty meats and lots of cheese and breadcrumbs, this French cassoulet can be transformed into a vegan-friendly, white bean-filled dinner.
- 3 leeks, white parts, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
Bread Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup good quality coarse bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or garlic powder)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Heat about 1/3 cup of water or vegetable broth in the stovetop-safe cooking pot of your slow cooker over medium-high heat.
- Add leeks and celery, cooking until soft.
- Add carrots and cook until browned.
- Add garlic and continue heating for 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer cooking pot back to slow cooker.
- Add diced tomatoes, vegetable stock, bay leaf, Italian seasoning and white beans.
- Cover and cook on LOW heat for 4 to 6 hours, until vegetables are tender.
- To make topping, toss bread crumbs with olive oil and garlic.
- Lay on baking sheet in thin layer and bake on 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- Allow topping to cool.
- Mix bread crumbs with parsley and lemon zest.
- Top cassoulet with bread crumbs and enjoy.
Indian Spiced Lentils
Filled with a variety of rich and piquant spices, this protein-packed, Indian-inspired meal will fill you up and light up your taste buds.
- 2 1/2 cups lentils, cooked
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2/3 cup organic vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients and spices in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve with brown rice or naan bread.