Italian White Fish Stew
When you're looking for a new Sunday classic that's an alternative to chili on a cold winter day, consider opting for a seafood-inspired dish such as Italian white fish stew. With so many varieties of tender white fish, there are numerous opportunities to create a stew that pairs best with your taste buds.
While other soups require a certain cut of meat, you can choose your white fish for the stew based on seasonality, your regional location and personal taste preference. Popular options include snapper, cod, sea bass, halibut, tilapia and haddock. These types of fish are perfect for this recipe as their mild flavor lends well to slow cooking: It really soaks up all of the fresh, vibrant spices and liquids of the stew.
Italian White Fish Stew
Rich and flavorful, this warm stew with Italian seasonings is made perfectly in your Crock-Pot® Lift & Serve Hinged Lid 6-Quart Oval Slow Cooker. The Lift & Serve Slow Cooker has a durable hinged lid that allows for easy serving and eliminates the nuisance of where to put the lid.
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, diced
- 1 white sweet onion, chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1(0 oz package) of mushrooms
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 (16 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 oz) bottle of clam juice
- 1 (16 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 oz) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry white cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon mixed seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 fillets white fish of your choice, skin removed
- Microwave diced potatoes for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, onion, celery, garlic, mushrooms, peppers, diced tomatoes, clam juice, tomato paste, tomato sauce, vegetable broth, white cooking wine, red wine vinegar, olive oil, seasoning, red pepper flakes, parsley and salt and pepper to slow cooker.
- Mix to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours or on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
- Place four fillets of white fish on top of ingredients.
- Cover and continue cooking for 30 to 60 minutes.
- When fish is cooked through, remove from slow cooker and use cutting board to flake into small pieces.
- Return fish to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Serve warm.
Bonus tip: If you're looking to spice up this stew even more, consider adding shellfish such as clams, mussels, shrimp and/or scallops. After the 4 hour cook time is up, add shellfish at the same time as white fish, cover and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, until shells are opened and fish is cooked through.