Dumpling Recipes for Your Slow Cooker
If you enjoy your dumplings plump, lightly browned and savory, slow cooking them is a great method for getting just the right texture and flavor. Using the Crock-Pot® Smart-Pot® 6-Quart Slow Cooker, try out one of the two dumpling recipes below for your next family dinner or casual get-together.
Chicken and Dumplings
The dumplings in this recipe are tender and moist, slow-cooked to perfection in a creamy sauce with a variety of chicken, potatoes and vegetables.
- 6 chicken breast halves, skinless and boneless
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups baby carrots, whole
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup, condensed
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 2/3 cups milk.
- Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces.
- Place chicken, potatoes, carrots and celery in the bottom of your 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine the soup, water, thyme leaves and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour mixture over chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- In a medium bowl, combine the baking mix and milk.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto the chicken mixture.
- Turn slow cooker to high for 30 minutes with cover tilted to vent, until dumplings are cooked in the center.
- Serve warm with white rice.
Vegetables and Dumplings
For those who prefer a wealth of vegetables with their dumplings this recipe is for you. Packed with flavor, this tasty stew is sure to become a household favorite.
Vegetable Stew Ingredients:
- 3 cups acorn squash, seeded, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup green beans, fresh chopped or frozen
- 1/2 cup frozen corn.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Add acorn squash, mushrooms, onion, garlic, tomatoes, water, pepper and Italian seasoning to your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine egg, milk and oil. Fold in dry dumpling ingredients.
- Add thyme or rosemary to dough if desired.
- When vegetable stew has finished, add green beans and corn to slow cooker.
- Drop tablespoon-size spoonfuls of batter into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for another 50 minutes.
- Enjoy warm!